Finding physicians continues to be a challenge for many healthcare systems and physician practices. A new benchmark study from the Association of Staff Physician Recruiters (ASPR) shows that the physician shortage is affecting healthcare recruitment and retention at every level.
The annual study polls ASPR members, consisting of in-house physician recruitment professionals from across the U.S. Key findings from the 2018 In-House Physician Recruitment Benchmarking Report include:
- Locum tenens physicians are increasingly relied upon to provide supplemental coverage due to the overall shortage and the increased time to fill certain positions;
- Physician turnover in rural communities is on the rise; turnover elsewhere declined; non-physician providers realized a marginal increase in turnover in the past year;
- Over 70% of participating organizations last year were searching for a family medicine physician, followed by hospital medicine, internal medicine and neurology, all over 50%;
- Neurology had the highest days to fill (211 days); family medicine and internal medicine searches, for the typical sized health system required six months to fill;
- Having adequate support staff and an applicant tracking system were both factors associated with fewer days to fill overall;
- Organizations with over 50 physician and provider searches per year managed by its in-house team typically have five staff including one or more in support staff roles. This compares to two staff which has been the typical size of in-house staff for several years.
Frank Gallagher, ASPR board president, stresses the impact the provider shortage is having on healthcare systems, “As physician recruitment and retention specialists, our members are being asked to do more while staff sizes remain constant.”
The full benchmarking report includes analysis of over 6,500 active provider searches performed, statistics on in-house physician recruiter profiles, compensation data of in-house physician recruiters, and departmental expenses.
ASPR member organizations can purchase the complete 2018 report at aspr.org/page/Benchmarking. Work with a CompHealth representative to understand how these data and trends will impact your physician staffing plan for 2019. For assistance in filling an open position, complete the form below.