- How many jobs and locations are available? Not all staffing agencies place physicians throughout the country. Make sure the agency has job opportunities in your preferred locations and jobs that match your specialty. It's also a good idea to ask about the different types of available practice settings.
- Do you understand my specialty? Each specialty is unique, with its own requirements and certifications. It's important to choose an agency that has recruiters dedicated to placing physicians in your specialty.
- What about licensing and credentialing? Does the agency coordinate new licensure and take care of the fees? Do they credential physicians according to recognized national standards?
- Do you offer malpractice coverage? One of the biggest benefits of locum tenens work is malpractice coverage. Ask if the agency offers a comprehensive policy, if there is an associated charge, and if the policy covers any incident that occurs while working for them, even after the assignment ends.
- Can you ensure that I will work in a good environment? Ask if the agency has risk management professionals on staff to ensure you are placed in a safe, ethical work environment. The agency should also be available to help you resolve problems or concerns with a facility's policies, procedures and equipment.
- How do you handle travel? It's important to know how a staffing agency coordinates travel to and from assignments, what type of housing is provided, and if personal travel services are also available.
- How will I get paid? There are plenty of questions to ask about compensation, like frequency of payment, extra payment for overtime or call duties, and availability of tax services such as withholding or deferment.
7 Questions to Ask Before Choosing a Locum Tenens Staffing CompanyOctober 23rd, 2013 2 Min read Blog
There are many different reasons why physicians choose to work locum tenens assignments: to build skills and bolster a CV; to try out different practices and facilities before accepting a permanent position; to work where and when they want; to earn some extra money on the side. There are also many types of locum tenens staffing agencies and recruiters. To have the best possible locum tenens experience, it's important to work with an agency that will meet each of your needs. Here are a few questions to ask any agency before signing up for its services. RELATED: 5 Traits to Look For in a Locum Tenens Recruiter