You ARE a Doctor, Right?

October 26th, 2012 1 Min read You ARE a Doctor, Right? Blog
SurgeonsIt's a question you might ask upon meeting the orthopedic specialist about to work on your shoulder, rhetorically, even: "So, you're a doctor?" The answer is not always yes. A recent article titled "Your Surgeon May Not Be a Doctor" talks about the differences and similarities between a physician assistant and an MD. One opinion states that a PA can fulfill "about 80 percent of a doctor's role." But that remaining 20 percent is a huge distinction according to medical societies, and some patients feel a measure of comfort hearing from their MD. At the same time, people are growing more comfortable with a PA consulting on procedural follow-ups, delivering medication advice, and the availability for face time they may provide. What is the ultimate solution for offsetting the primary care shortage? Under the primary care medical home (PCMH) model, many agree that PAs -- and other practitioners -- are a key part of what remains a physician-led solution.